Tuesday, February 21, 2017

1Mission-February 2017

Hello Everyone!! I hope you all had a fabulous weekend. The weather in Arizona was definitely unusual for February: rainy and windy. We Arizonians are in high expectations for warm and sunny days now that December and January are behind us. But the weather, being about as predictable as a deck of cards, made for a cold February. However, as a family, we were hoping to escape the drab weather and spend President's weekend down in Mexico. To say the least, we did not. 

--"Then I heard the voice of the LORD saying, 'Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?' And I said, 'Here I am. Send me!'" Isaiah 6:8

     This past weekend, my family and I made our way down to Rocky Point, Mexico, the base camp for the amazing organization: 1Mission. 1Mission's sole purpose is to provide safe and adequate housing for those in need. The cool part: the families being helped have to earn a required number of hours to earn a house. So not only is a family receiving a house, a community is being built. As of this weekend, 1Mission has helped build 550 houses and has changed countless lives in the process. My family and I have not done a mission trip together since 2011. I have gone on several since, but with intersecting, never resting schedules, we've been unable to do one together. With an empty schedule and weekend, the Surretts made their way down to Mexico. 
      My whole family has done this mission trip before, but that was six years ago; things have changed. Jill is now fourteen and it would be her first real house build and my parents would too be right beside me. I was ecstatic. I could not wait to experience this amazing and life changing trip with three of my most favorite people. With high expectations for this trip, my whole family was over the moon excited for the weekend. 

-- "And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God's people in accordance with the will of God." Romans 8:27

     Well, when we arrived, we did not outrun the weather as we had hoped. We drove into the base camp in a dust storm and went to sleep in the pouring rain. With optimism, we hoped that the rain would dry up before we left for the work site the following morning. Yet it did not with a forecast of 90% chance of rain all day. The rain lasted all day. After getting a late start to the job site, the weather remained cold, windy, and rainy the entire day. We had too many hands working so many were left just standing in the pouring rain. My mom and I found ourselves in the heated car watching for most the day. It was miserable. It was not what we expected. Far from what we planned. But not at all far from what God had in mind, and that's what I realized through all the waiting. I serve a God who is completely in control and has a plan for every single day that I am apart of. It's hard to understand what He has going on inside His head, or even why He allows certain things (like rain storms) to happen. During all the waiting, I turned my thoughts to God, and accepted the turnouts of this day. No, this is not what I had in mind, no this is not how I wanted to start my trip, but I am going to say yes to God in the midst of the storm (literally and figuratively). It is for God to orchestrate and for me to trust. 
     I had high high hopes for the following day. I woke up, ate a protein bar for breakfast and was ready to hit the site, determined to do some work today. While still cold, it was not raining, and coming prepared I heavily layered up in what I wore. Sure I might get cold, but I was going to suck it up and build a house that day. The team got an early start to the site and everyone was in a great positive mood. Thank you God, for letting up on the weather and giving us a great day to serve you and your children in need. On our way to the job site, our line of cars pulled over. Come to find out, one of the cars blew two tires breaking one of the rims in the process. Really God, really? Quick back story: my father is a grease monkey to the core. He worked in an automotive repair shop for 11 years and grew up with fully immersed in an environment filled with that of cars. My dad knew cars like I know how to make a bowl of cereal. Pretty dang well. So, who do you think stayed behind with the car while everyone went to the job cite? Yup, you guessed it, my family. But, that's not how the morning is supposed to go. It's not rainy, I'm not freezing, and we got an early start...we should be at the job site working!! Okay, okay, I know a tire change should be pretty quick - but not when you have a tire that doesn't fit and you're in a country where you have no idea where a tire shop is. Frustrated and already an hour into a tire change, we were all getting a little restless. Then God showed up. A car pulls up to us and the man inside speaks perfect English. His name was Carlos and he was the best thing that happened to us that day. He stayed with us the whole time (total of two additional hours) and helped us find a new tire for the man who's car broke down. Carlos was amazing and beyond helpful. We got it all fixed up and continued on our way to work, forever grateful for Carlos.
     At the job site, the weather held up and we experienced a perfect day for working. We came together as a team and got it done. Maria, the woman whom we're building for, was a lovely help to us all. She was involved in every job possible and encouraged us all to give it our best effort. The team was cruising that day, and we finished early, even though my family missed almost the first half of it. But again, it comes down to that trust and recognition that God is in control. If we hadn't of stayed behind, we wouldn't of met Carlos. If we hadn't of pushed hard and worked together we wouldn't have finished early. I can now see how powerful my God is and how undeniable His hand is in all things. That day we did serve His children, just not the ones we had in mind. Early that day too, we were building: not the house, but relationships. God took these inconveniences and turned them into blessings for our benefits.

-- "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose" Romans 8:28 --
This is Maria and her brand new house. Her hardwork for
this house is something truly inspiring.

     This week was FAR from what my family and I had in mind. We had it all planned out on the way down to Mexico, but right from the beginning in that dust storm and all the way throughout, God reminded us who was ultimately in charge. I'm so glad He did, because if He hadn't I know my mindset on this trip would have been totally different. I instead choose to see Him in control in my waiting, I decided to trust Him in my lack of understanding, and I choose to keep my eyes on Him and not the present circumstances. As unexpected as this week was, it was filled with fond memories. I got to do a mission trip that I love dearly with my spectacular family. Can I just say, they killed it out there! Gosh, I thought I had some skills, but no, my family was so hardworking and determined that it inspired me and made me so proud of them. Maria, loved her house. We were able to finish the house and Maria could not have been more grateful. She worked so hard for this moment and now her life is forever changed. I highly doubt she will lose her servant heart just because she earned this house. If anything, I believe her level of serving will increase, because she will want others to experience what she has experienced herself. Throughout this trip, it has really been a blessing to wait in the car, change tires, and even get started late to building because it has reminded me of the God I serve. He is majestic and in total control of everyday matters. My trust in Him has increased exponentially because I opened my eyes to the fact that He is present in every aspect of my life. And I get to be apart of His marvelous plan. 
      Filled with new memories and many learned lessons, I will forever remember this trip. This trip was like no other, but I think it will become one of my favorites because it has turned out to be like nothing I imagined. 
These are stingray tacos that Maria made for us the last day.
They were interesting to say the least, very appreciated,
but definitely a new flavor. But, hey I can now say I tried
stingray.
This lil' cutie put my hammering
skills to shame this weekend.















XOXO - Em

No comments:

Post a Comment