Saturday, December 24, 2016

A Simplified Christmas

Happy Holidays Everyone!!
     Christmas is just one day away... oh my! I just managed to get everyone's gift decently wrapped under the tree. This Christmas season has just flown by, but it was definitely one for the books. The last month of 2016 has been jam packed, but spectacular. I adore Christmas as you well know, and this last month has definitely given me my fill of Christmas.
      Currently writing to you in my bed, because on this final week of the year, I am sick. Whoopie!! And of course I get sick right when my church is in full swing of Christmas Eve services. It's a lot, but honestly it's my favorite time of the year for my church. We get so many new people visiting us and it's our job to show them Jesus in such a way that is life changing. Christmas, I feel, is the perfect opportunity to show someone Jesus. Within the message shown, we're explaining why Jesus came, who He is, why His life was so significant, and the role He still actively plays today. And I love being a part of it all!!
     This Christmas season has felt different from all the rest, I've had a different mindset about everything this year that's left me overly satisfied, and I'm gonna share with you a few things I did that got me through the holiday season less stressed and more positive about what's ahead. They are simple ways to lead a more simplified focused life that can be applied to anything, not solely Christmas.
      This Holiday season I simply did more of what I love. As I've expressed before, I'm silly about baking. Nothing really gets me more excited (except maybe some new books ) than baking. It's something I've come to find I really love and something I want to pursue. So that's what I did! I recently attended a baking class at Sur La Table in Scottsdale, Arizona and learned the fine art that is chocolate, and oh boy... it's quite extensive, yet absolutely fascinating. I learned how to make peppermint bark and hand rolled truffles, sounds fancy eh? Well, the process is actually really easy once you get the hang of it. And chocolate being the beautiful thing that it is, pairs well with any flavor. After the class and taking home the goodies I managed not to eat, I realized I wanted more. Yes more chocolate, but specifically more experience in a culinary environment. While that requires a step out of my comfy zone and into the unknown, I walk in confidence for I know I'm walking into to something exciting; something that is shaping the person I'm becoming. So by simply doing more of what I love this holiday season (and all the days to come) I'm becoming this person I've been searching for. I'm becoming someone who's confident in her abilities and who's fear of the unknown is ever present but no longer controlling her decisions. By doing more of what I love I am leading a life of simplicity, because I'm finally focused on the passions in my life that make me happy.
      Also, throughout the holidays, I've kept my gaze upon Christ, and oh the difference it makes. This season especially, it's easy to lose sight of our Lord and Savior and get focused on those around us, the mounting to-do lists, and even the festivities. None of those things are bad, but none of those things should capture our full attention. This entire season is about the birth of our Savior, our Redeemer. With our eyes upon Him, our hearts will be satisfied our mind will experience peace. I cannot imagine going throughout this season without Jesus, I mean not only because it's His birthday, but also because He is the one who restores peace and security within me. Christmas is such an easy time to get wrapped up (get the pun) in all that's going on and watch it slip from your over filled hands. What I've had to do is to let it all slip, take a deep breath, then pick up some different things. I fill my hands and heart with Him. I've made an effort this Christmas to stay focused on the reason for this season and it's paid off. When I choose to keep my eyes on Him I see Him in every situation. When I fill my heart with Him, His love is revealed within me. When I fill my mind with Him, I see others the way He would see them. This Christmas has been simpler and more memorable because I've let go of control and became centered on Christ who has complete control of it all.
Here are a couple of verses I go to during this season, and they are such great reminders of what God is capable of and where He stands in my life.
-"For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. The government will rest on His shoulders and he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6
-"I meditate on your majestic, glorious splendor and your wonderful miracles. Your awe-inspiring deeds will be on every tongue; I will proclaim your greatness." Psalm 145:5-6
-"The Savior - yes, the Messiah, the Lord - has been born today in Bethlehem, the city of David!" Luke 2:11
     Another way to achieve simplicity in the craziest time of the year is to make an experience out of it. Yes Christmas can be stressing, but only stressing because if make it so. If we choose to have a stressful, get-me-through-this mentality, then Christmas honestly won't be all that enjoyable. Trust me, I've had Christmases like that. But if we instead see Christmas as a wonderful time to recognize our Lord, surround ourselves with spectacular people, and fill it to the max with experiences... well you're bound to have a happy Christmas. As a family we made it a priority to focus on experiences instead of expenses this year. By making that simple perspective switch, our Christmas has become more enhanced and intentional. We have found ourselves choosing to stay in a do movie days and abundant amounts of baking for the sake of tradition. We'd rather spend time looking at Christmas lights and walking around downtown without feeling the need to spend money in order to make it special. This year, my sister and I tackled a gingerbread village rather than the traditional house. We had to hot glue the houses together and watch the frosting drip comically from the rooftops, but honestly it was really fun. What made it so enjoyable was the fact I was doing it with Jill right next to me laughing the entire time, and watching a cheesy Christmas movie. Now, it's something I want to do every year. From experiences such as those, we, as a family, find our Christmas most fulfilled and every memory treasured.
     Our Christmas has become simplified because our perspective and mindset has become more simplified. This year, by keeping Christ centered in our lives, we experience the result that is an everlasting genuine happiness that will make our holidays and everyday that follows more memorable. Merry Christmas everyone and I hope your Christmas is stress free and filled with experiences that enhance your holiday and even your new year.

XOXO - Em

P.S- you can follow me on Instagram for updates on my blog and daily life- My Instagram
     










No comments:

Post a Comment