Sunday, November 20, 2016

Hey There

 Hello,
     Finally, I'm breaking out the sweaters because Arizona has just recently realized it's winter and it should start acting as such. Holiday vibes are in full swing, the sweater cravings are real, and 70 degree weather is becoming a reality. About time. I cannot wait for my first Starbucks drink of the year. PSL is out, bring on the Gingerbread Latte! I'm so looking forward to everything season has in store.
      I've not written in awhile and the urge to write something could never be stronger than it has been this past month. God is doing some pretty cool things with me right now and I'm super stoked about what's going on. I'm not going to fill this up with excuses for my absence, instead I'm just going to let you now what's new in my little world. This November has been unexpected in most ways. A lot of little things have popped up where I thought I had control but quickly found out I did not. The result turned actually better than what I had been planning. Funny how that works out, when you release control and results turn out better for you. That's been a reoccurring theme for me this month.
These lovely kiddos stole my heart the minute
I met them. Shortly after this picture was taken, they all
started building a house of their own with whatever we weren't
using. Seriously the cutest thing ever.
     Last week, I on went on the annual Rocky Point, Mexico mission trip with my youth group. I felt this Mexico trip was unlike any other. I felt I knew my God better and I knew myself better too, and that played into every part of the experience. I went on this trip stronger and more confident. Before the trip is was a kind of in an unhappy place about certain relationships and ended up blaming myself for things that weren't my fault. My whole demeanor had lacked energy and enthusiasm and I was losing a little bit of myself to things that I wasn't responsible for. I was really looking forward to Mexico, because Mexico has always been a happy place for me. It was a place I could go and serve my little heart out. So, I went with an attitude of this weekend is all about building God's kingdom and this is
something that brings you joy. I went looking at the mission trip as an outlet for my joy that comes from serving and building relationships. I grew closer to so many people I hadn't really talked to much before the trip and went out of my comfort zone on the work site. I stepped up in ways I knew I could and really embraced the leader side of me. Nothing felt better. I loved every second of the trip, because every second of the trip God was at work and His hand was evident in the lives of everyone there. This trip meant so much to me, because I went in with set mindset of this is all so much bigger than me. When I returned home I had a renewed joy about me. I saw what I was capable of there, and knew there was no reason I couldn't bring that home with me. I'm choosing to be intentional about everything and the genuinely find joy in everything. Mexico showed me I have plenty to be grateful for and I take to much for granted. I need to embrace every big and little blessing and apply that to my character. Oh, I brought home some authentic handmade Mexican tortillas that can literally change one's world. So yeah, God gets all the credit for my renewed joy, but man do those tortillas bring a smile to my face. I'm pretty positive they had something to do with it all too.
     A few days when I arrived home from Mexico, I lost my job. For about four months I had been working as a social media manager for a wonderful gal who is doing some pretty amazing things. I was very excited about the job and everything it had in store, and was getting really good at it. But after four months, the pace had slowed down dramatically and I was becoming uncertain about when I would begin back up again. Unfortunately, I didn't. Where my boss was at with the business, another employee didn't make sense at the time. It stung. It was my first job and I felt myself maturing and becoming as I like to put it: adulty. I had a bank account set up, I got my first debit card, and my official title was Assistant at a Productions Firm. Super fancy, I know! But when it all ended, I felt annoyed at first, but the day after it came to me. Of course this is all part of God's plan and this is where He needs me right now. Work was taking up a lot of my time and I was neglecting time for myself and time for others even. Out of the job feels like a welcome break. I feel like I'm finally catching my breath and becoming more intentional about what's important to me. So, this is what a break feels like? I like it, I'm taking full advantage of this. For the rest of 2016, I'm taking my time in it all, not feeling the need to rush anything. With the renewed joy from Mexico and the gift of rest from my job I'm feeling pretty great. I'm focusing more on how I can lead and be more intentional with the here and now.
      With this new found joy and perspective and I'm looking at all the things that make me a happy lil' bean. Recently, I found that baking does that for me. It's my jam. I don't know if it's the incoming holiday season (which I'm ecstatic about) or if it's just the slowing way down and God's just like "Em, you like making sweet goodies; do more of that." So here I am baking more and expanding my horizon. I got a little taste of extreme baking from my Sweet 16, when I made everything entirely from scratch and I loved it!! I realized, if baking is something that brings me this much joy, why am I not doing more of it. I've stopped hesitating and doubting and just did it. This is gonna be my homemade holiday season. When I think about baking I get all giddy. I'm convinced that something made by hand is bound to taste better than anything from a box; though one can never go wrong with a box mix brownie. Once I get a few recipes under my belt, I'll share with you. But as of speaking I an expert when it comes to licking the spoon and need a little more practicing. With this upcoming holiday season, I promise I'll throw you plenty of goodies your way.
     AHHH!! This holiday season! I'm so excited for this Christmas, because we are doing it up proper this year. The bucket list and the FOMO is real. We, Surretts, are not leaving anything out this season. We're cramming it all in and making this Christmas Halmark Card worthy. I will definitely keep you updated with more regular posts, because I want you as involved this Christmas as I'm going to be. I see that I have a lot of international readers (which blows my mind!!) and would absolutely love to hear from you in the comment section below about any holiday traditions you have or any plans you're coming up with to make this the season that trumps all seasons. I love hearing from everyone and want to know you all better. If you want updates on my blog you can follow me on Instagram - @emma_surrett. Or if you wanna know where I'm getting all my holiday inspiration this year, you can follow me on Pinterest - Emma Surrett.





XOXO - Em








     

No comments:

Post a Comment