Thursday, December 10, 2015

A Peaceful State of Happiness

Dear Readers, 
con·tent
kənˈtent/
adjective
In a state of peaceful happiness

Keep this word and definition in mind while reading.

-- I know what it is to be in need, And I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through him who gives me strength. -- Philippians 4:12-13

  To be content is to be in a state of peaceful happiness. To be content is to be grateful. To be content is to be aware of what you have. So often, we are constantly not content as a result of the fact we are constantly wanting. We live in a world of instant gratification and can get almost anything we want with the simple click of a button. But, what happens when we can't get the thing we want? What do we do then? The world doesn't come to a stop when we're unhappy and start again once we're satisfied. That's not how it works. Our happiness and contentment isn't one of those things we can pull off a shelf whenever we need it. We need to search for it ourselves. Contentment is an easy thing to achieve if we know where to look. Notice how I said achieve. Contentment is the end goal, for the definition is a state of peaceful happiness. It's the state you're in. So how do we achieve contentment? It's when we find happiness in what we have. When you look around you and realize how blessed you are, are grateful for it, and are happy with your circumstances, then you reach contentment. We have been blessed in numerous ways, and will continue to be blessed. We just need to notice.
In the scripture above, Paul shares the secret of being content in every situation, whether he has plenty or is in want, he's figured it out. He was gracious enough to share this dazzling secret with me and you. The answer: I can do all things through him who gives me strength. That's it, that's the simple answer to the life long problem of finding contentment. When you're in want, think of him who gives you strength. When your jealous, think of him who gives you strength. When you don't know where your happiness comes from, think of him who gives you strength. Let this be your source for joy which will lead you to being content.
Especially through out this holiday season it's vital to find joy in what you have and in what you've been given. It's so easy to become wrapped up in wheat everyone else has and/or what they're doing. I'm guilty of such things. I see things I want and people I strive to be like, but I have to remind myself that's not my happiness, that's someone else's. Your happiness, Emma, comes from somewhere else. I need to find happiness in what I've been blessed with in order to live a content life. Your holiday season will be more simplified when you find contentment in the things given to you, and the things you've been blessed with. I promise. This week, I encourage you to live in a state of peaceful happiness.

XOXO- Em



No comments:

Post a Comment